What is the A+ Schools Program?
Recognizing the great benefit to our students, and to our school as an educational institution, the Houston R-I School District has joined other Missouri High Schools in having A+ status. The high school A+ program offers students a rigorous program of academic and technical education that prepares them for the workplace, post-secondary vocational-technical training or college.
As an incentive for students and a means to build a strong Missouri workforce, the state offers free tuition and fees to a Missouri Community College or Technical School for students who complete the A+ program.
Houston High School recognizes the great impact of Missouri’s A+ Schools, not only as a means of financial assistance for post-secondary education, but also as an outstanding educational model for Missouri High Schools.
Student Benefits of the A+ Program
Students win with A+ Schools because all students participate in a rigorous program of academic and technical education that will prepare them for their future educational and career goals.
The Missouri State Board of Education has designated the Houston High School as an A+ School. Graduates meeting the requirements are eligible for state reimbursement for the cost of tuition and fees while attending any Missouri Public Community College or Post-Secondary Vocational or Technical School as a full-time student.
A+ Eligibility Info
To be eligible, each student must have entered into an agreement with a designated A+ School and have met the following requirements:
- Attend a designated A+ School for three (3) consecutive years prior to high school graduation;
- Maintain and graduate from high school with a grade point average of 2.5 points or higher on a 4.0 scale;
- Maintain a 95% attendance record for a four-year period;
- Perform 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring with younger students;
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid unlawful use of drugs and alcohol;
- Have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I or higher level math end of course exam.
- Complete a Free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Alternative to end of course is as follows:
Math ACT Score & GPA
Additional information can be found under "Useful Links" in the A+ folder.