WHAT IS HEF?
HEF, the Houston Education Foundation, has a mission of promoting education excellence and opportunity beyond the scope of the Houston R-1 school system by generating financial resources from private funds to provide support for education programs.
WHY THE NEED?
Due to state and federal budget cuts and higher operating costs, Missouri schools are struggling for resources to educate their students and to provide for their teachers. In response, many schools across the state are involved in establishing educational foundations to provide academic enrichment beyond the basics. The Houston Education Foundation was established in the fall of 2006 to address on-going needs in the Houston Schools. The HEF is a tax exempt public charity that enables you to donate to your schools as a tax deductible gift. The Houston Education Foundation is an affiliate of the Community Foundation of the Ozarks.
HEF IN ACTION!
Recent projects include:
- With donor support, HEF has funded Chromebook computers and 4 charging carts for use in grades 3-5 and 7-12, as well as the HHS/HMS Library/Media Center
- Supporting the purchase of needed Band Uniforms
- Portable Risers with safety rails, utilized by all students but especially those in choir
- Multiple matching grants approaching $50,000 to build the endowment fund
- State of the art Sound System for Hiett Gymnasium
- Desks & Chairs for middle school English department to enhance group learning
- Display Cabinets for HHS/HMS Art department
Since its inception in 2006, HEF board members lead the charge of raising funds to fulfill grants for educational equipment while also building an endowment fund for future students and district needs. HEF has had the required vision, commitment, and planning to achieve a thriving foundation.
WHAT IS AN ENDOWMENT FUND?
The HEF endowment fund is a permanent fund where the principal is never spent. The interest accrued is used to support projects at Houston Schools.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Your gift recognizes a need for quality education and will have lasting impact; providing support for students year after year. Every school needs a strong foundation!
Donors don't need to give large amounts of money to make a difference. Small, thoughtful gifts are also effective ways for people to support a cause they care about. A cause that reflects their values. Memorial gifts upon a friend's or loved one's death are especially meaningful.
Equally important, planned giving through a will or trust is something that can be instituted while living. With your tax-deductible contribution to Houston Education Foundation, you can establish memorials, honorariums and scholarships. A gift of personal property, real estate, stocks, bonds, insurance or other securities can be a smart investment plan that begins now and continues to touch many lives after the donor’s death.
WAYS TO GIVE TO HEF
1) Donations may be mailed to:
Houston Education Foundation
P.O. Box 10
Houston, MO 65483
2) Joint effort between Piney River Brewing and Brats for HEF each September
3) Fall letter campaign to Alumni and Friends
4) Give Ozarks online giving each May
Contact us about joining the Houston Education Foundation in supporting our kids and our future. For more information, contact Joe Richardson, President