Houston Band Announcement
Hi everybody! My name is Sam Van Dielen, and I'll be serving you as Band Director beginning this year. Lots of projects have been in the works, and we're ready to release information that is mainly for High School students and families. Middle School band families will be receiving information in the next month! MS students and their families only have to worry about signing up for band at this point - don't worry about instruments or testing quite yet. My contact info is below if you need it!
If you want to play an instrument in band this year, whether you are in middle school or high school, please contact your Guidance Counselor to be put on the roster and say hello over email at firstname.lastname@example.org or with a text/call to (417) 501-9511 (Google Voice).
In the packet that is attached, you will find details for every one of our events, expectations, and philosophies. You'll find information related to the band's 2021 Nashville Trip, a calendar for the entire school year, and forms that you must sign and return before band camp on August 3rd! There is a lot of useful information in that packet - read it all so that you're in the know! Every family in our program will receive hard copies of this packet and of their student's "show music" in the next month.
Below are details to nine functions that are happening this summer! Again, please read it all! A lot of info? Yes, but I hope that you see that the band is turning over a new leaf! Thanks for your support!
July 18, 5 to 6:30PM - All Bands Ice Cream Night @ HS Band Room (HSBR)
- Come together with Middle School and High School band families to see each other again, reveal the 2020 Marching Band show, meet the new Band Director, and receive hard copies of band calendars, the MS Band Packet, HS Band Packet, Marching Band music, and Car Wash Fundraiser forms.
July 21, 5PM - Band Booster Meeting
- Be part of the Band Booster Club, Houston's parent organization exclusively dedicated to the Band Program.
July 26, 4 to 5PM - Marching Band Family Info Night @ HSBR
- Come hear details about the marching band season, the 2021 Nashville Trip, fundraising opportunities for students and for the band, unpack the packet, and have live Q&A about everything that's discussed.
August 1, 11AM to 1PM - Band Member Orientation/Q&A @ HSBR
- All marching band students report to check out instruments, see updates to the band room, hear about new policies about uniforms and rehearsals, new music and marching techniques, etc.
August 1, 2-5PM - Drumline and Color Guard Orientation @ HSBR
- Drumline and Color Guard members will stick around to meet their staff and look over equipment.
August 3-6, 8AM to 4PM - Four-Day Week of Band Camp @ HSBR
- All marching band members will come together and begin learning the 2020 marching band show, as well as the fight song, national anthem, and alma mater. Report at 7:45AM daily. Students will be fed lunch and we're looking for volunteer cooks!! Three day weekend, all for you!
August 8, 7PM - National Anthem for Alumni Game v Cabool @ HHS
- Houston Athletics is holding an Alumni Game versus Cabool here at the High School! Come hear the band play and then enjoy a fun, low-key evening of Tigers Football.
August 10-13, 12 to 7PM - Five-Day Week of Band Camp @ HSBR
- We'll continue where we left off on Thursday, but everything will happen later to accommodate morning football practice. Report at 11:45 daily. We will dismiss at 4PM Wednesday. Students will be fed each day and we're looking for volunteer cooks!
August 14, 7PM - Summer Premier & Scrimmage Pig Roast @ HHS
- For the first time, the marching band will join the football team at their Pig Roast Scrimmage! The whole community is invited to come eat delicious BBQ, see our Tigers play, and enjoy a casual performance of the marching band's 2020 program!
The week of the 17th will be a sort of "dead week" for my new teacher training, and school begins on August 24th. You may have questions, and many of those questions can be answered by the packet attached to this email - read up and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, comments, complaints, confusions, suggestions, or greetings you might have!
Go Tigers! #thebestwillbe #thetigerway
Sam Van Dielen
Director of Bands
Houston School District